Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Game of Cat and Mouse (aka Politics and Cronyism at It's Finest)

As many of you know, my passion is advocating for the voiceless. If you've known me for only a short time, the voiceless are helpless animals being killed recklessly at our tax funded "shelter" or "animal control" if you actually don't care about animals.

However for those that have taken the time to know me, the voiceless are all those needing to be heard in a system built and maintained by cronyism. This is just a sample of the voiceless I speak of and ones that speak to me.


My animal advocating has grown over the last couple of years. As I followed what resignated with me, I found tools being used in other cities (some right next door to Wylie) that were making a difference. Cities of varying sizes were acknowledging the fundamental responsibility we have as human beings, to care for those animals in need of intervention. As I immersed myself in research, I found that most significant, life saving efforts, required little to no additional money needed, but instead relied on the community to come together. And where cities embraced their community's help, dramatic changes took place. Lives were being saved. Budgets were unaffected, if not reduced.

When I learned of what was happening in Rockwall, Seagoville, Sachse, and other neighboring towns, I was excited because I expected that this incredible growing city that we live in, would rival, if not exceed, in our "animal control" department. What I found was disheartening.

Not only is Wylie NOT LEADING in progressive sheltering of our community's strays, lost, and neglected pets but we are neglectful ourselves. And as an animal advocate in Wylie, I set out to make an improvement.

So I started the Wylie Coalition for Animal Shelter Reform. I invited all those in Wylie that advocate for animals. From federally acknowledged 501c3 rescues, to TX state non profit rescues, individual animal advocates, shelter volunteers and neighbors, I invited all those in Wylie to come together to help make change. As our voices got louder and we began to take part in the "politics" of a city animal shelter, change happened.

Unfortunately, this change was small and it's inefficient usage by our paid staff hasn't made much of a dent in the kill rate statistic. A simple Records Request by any city resident, will produce a hunka hunka bit of data. In this data you will see that our progessive city, that we love, is paying for a shelter that kills cats the same day they arrive.


And even though our city ordinance requires a 7 day hold on cats and a 3 day hold on "ferals", our "shelter" still kills them the day they arrive.

While that may not be important to a non pet owner in Wylie, that cat they killed could very well be a resident's family member. And without giving time to reunite them, as what we SHOULD be doing, our "animal control" is KILLING them. On the SAME DAY THEY ARRIVE. (breaking their own city ordiance while doing so).

So why did this propel me to run for city council this year?

Well, common sense would say, that after 2 years of fighting the same ole same ole, sooner or later one has to try to affect changes from within. However, when I heard that Diane Culver could be running unopposed, my concern, and the concerns of others on the Coalition grew. Many of us in the Coalition have already experienced Ms. Culver's position on animal control. And her position is  JUST THAT. Wylie doesn't have a SHELTER, it has an ANIMAL CONTROL. Her new and improved political slogan is Principles Over Politics, however all our group has ever experienced while she was on the City Council and chairman of the Animal Advisory Board, was politics. When brought to her attention that our shelter was not following our city ordinances and KILLING our community animals, her response has always been in defense of the staff that they are animal control...not a shelter. I don't know about you, but patting the backs of a killing department over saving the lives of innocent voiceless animals seems more about politics than principles. But I digress.

So if we are animal control, delegated to safeguarding the public's health and safety, why is it that I know several neighbors that have had issues with wild life in their backyard with NO HELP from animal control? When my 80 year old neighbor called animal control to help her with a possum, they informed her that she would have to come down to the shelter and lease a trap. Trap the possum herself, and then call them when it was ready to pick up. Let's just say I'm thankful our fire department doesn't offer the same sort of help.

When another neighbor's yard was inundated with armadillos, our animal control was difficult to get in touch with and in the end my neighbors had to figure it out on their own.

But hey...I'm sure glad they are taking care of that "feral cat problem" our city has been overrun with.

It is sad that our shelter is more about CONTROL, of both people and animals, than actually being a resource for our residents and their 4-legged family members. Just one look at their dismal active volunteer stats will give you a good insight to how well they work with the community. But don't take my word for it. I've been banned for trying to save the life of a dog. Other volunteers have been banned from taking photos or simply looking at the animals.

And at this point, there doesn't exist an "active" volunteer program. Not that there aren't residents that have dedicated their personal time to TRYING to be a volunteer. But with the ridiculous and lengthy application process, and the lack of a program that would use these volunteers to save lives daily, a volunteer program is just another tool our city's shelter can't seem to get off the ground.

But many of my friends, whom come from various political parties as well as diverse religious beliefs, have raised the concern, can I win an election on just one topic.

In my honest opinion, I believe anyone that discounts the power that the animal advocates in a city of 44,000 people have, would be naive. Just a glimpse into social media outpourings from animal advocates will show you just what they can accomplish when they coming together.

But I have lived in Wylie for almost 7 years. Wylie is the first (and only) place I moved when uprooting my family from CT. I moved here because after doing a bit of research and having 2 interracial children, I found Wylie to be a wonderfully diverse group of people. However, I have found that our city council doesn't seem to be nearly as diverse as the people it governs for.

I have also been very open to my recent struggles after having lost my job of approx. 8 years. As a single mother of 2, the ability to juggle a small budget to make sure that our necessities are met, has been nothing but eye awakening. Where I thought there was no more room to cut, I found room to cut. But where my priorities kept me, were still with allowing my children to live and enjoy life TODAY, as nothing is promised to us beyond that.

I look at this recent struggle as a means to grow my spirit and learn humility as I have had to rely on friends, family and the kindness of others, to help me stay afloat. I am continually reminded of the African proverb "it takes a village to raise a child". While I have always prided myself on my ability to be resilient amongst obstacles, I have also found humility in needing the help of my village. And to me, Wylie is a part of that village. 

So to say that the only topic I am passionate about are animals, would be a gross disservice of who I am. I have been voiceless. I have struggled. I have endured. I have common sense. I have a love for mankind AND the animals we are charged with caring for. And I have a love for Wylie.

It would be easier to start over, in a smaller footprint in a less expensive neighboring town. But Wylie is where my family's rehabilitation occurred after a painful divorce. Wylie is where I have called home and started over. And Wylie is where I will fight to stay.

So call me that nutty feral cat lady. But realize that what you get in me is NON POLITICS. You get someone who's real. Someone who's not above reproach. Someone who doesn't have spare cash to buy an expensive sign to put on 544, but someone that is not willing to give up for a passion to help, just because it requires stepping out of her comfort zone to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment